The ISAPI rewrite would catch ALL instances of ".pdf" or whatever you
script it to:

So , www.domain.com/test.pdf would be caught, rewritten to:

        www.domain.com/library/downloads.cfm?file=test.pdf

The file string could then be parsed, checked in a databse, and then
served if approved.

You'd have to put an exception in the http.ini file to prevent the
Filter from re-catching the ".pdf" in the ?file= string though!