We, at Wharton, used to have this problem.  So we wrote a home grown monitoring
service for CF that would tell us when it was down.

Then as we started to examine the servers exactly when problems were occurring
we were able to track down the source of many of our problems.  Typically we
found problems the following ways:
        ColdFusion Logs
        Jrun Logs
        IIS Logs

Then we would research the hell out of the problem, and track down information
we were seeing in the logs.

The problems tended to be one of the following:
        A needed patch
        A needed setting tweak (Most common source of a problem for us.)
        Developer related (Bad code)

By iteratively going through, and combating issues *as soon as they come up*,
we were able to make our environment extremely stable.

Terrence Ryan
Senior Systems Programmer
Wharton Computing and Information Technology
E-mail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]