alright, I'm gonna try to get the number from DUAL and insert that.

I'd like to try triggers, but the last time I tried to make them, I had
problems.  We aren't allowed to use a GUI (managing tool) to work with the DB.
Admittedly, I was pretty much a complete novice at the time.  So when I have
time I'd like to try again.

Thanks for the sequence information.  I had once learned that it's its own
table but I had forgotten completely.