No that's not it, 0 translates to false in CF.
So if myQuery.recordcount is 0, then <cfif myQuery.recordcount> would
return false.

My suspicion is that you have somewhere in your code a <cfsetting
enablecfoutputonly="yes">. Is the code you posted earlier the actual
code, or is it just an example? Becaus if you have <cfoutput> tags after
the cfif, it would output what is between them, but if after the cfelse
you don't have <cfoutput> tags, it would leave it blank (with the
enablecfoutputonly setting on.)

Mingo.