You can do exactly what he wants by loading the data into a JS array.
Then his function would simply look in the array rather than trying to
do a query.

the cfquery in his function is querying for a specific record based on
a value passed to the function.

if he does a query without the WHERE and loops over that query, he can
create a JS array easily.