Heres my .02

Do an iframe with the variable in the Url of the iframe.
Do an onblur event on the field to reload the iframe.
Put your Query and Display element in the iframe.

I say this because if your doing a query on a DB with millions of records an
aray might not be a good idea.?

I use that approach for my data entry people for Addresses on the Zip Code
to get County Contact info.