Here's an example of our latest bug.  The system was crashing.  With the
help of Allaire's tech support, it was narrowed down to the fact that
one app was calling a ColdFusion custom tag (only ColdFusion code in it)
for each row, doing a division, checking for 0, formatting the results with
leading zero, that sort of thing.

When the loop calling the custom tag was only a few hundred hits, there
was no problem.  When the loop calling the tag was a thousand times or so,
the coldfusion server would crash.  When the loop calling the tag was several
times larger (four thousands) the server would crash quicker.  Tech support
has found that the server appears to be crashing in its "custom tag cleanup"
section.

Now, whether or not this is a particularly good design for the app is a
separate issue - the server shouldn't be crashing.  And in fact, the
app with the same data wasn't crashing when running on a machine with only
2 or 4 CPUs; only when it moved to the latest release server on a machine
with 14 CPUs does the server crash.

Those are the sorts of problems - along with the fact that we've yet to
get a single patch for a problem we've encountered - that is driving our
support staff nuts.
--
Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.
Larry W. Virden <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>