From: Peterson, Chris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:15 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Daily procedures for using Subversion

I am having a hard time fitting Subversion into my general coding
procedures.  I have been a 1-man coder at a company that has nothing to
do with programming for the longest time (transportation related
business).  Now we are branching out to providing programming services,
and I want to ensure I keep accurate revisions of my code in Subversion
for backup and peace of mind.  Typically, I use cf-eclipse to author and
test code on a single test server I have, then once its happy I copy the
folder to my production server and am done.  I configured subversion on
my iSeries AS400, and got subclipse setup and running fine.  When you
create a repository, every single time I save too it, it increments the
version number.  Well, my original thought was to take my entire webroot
and commit that to a general repository.  That seems silly to have a
version number for every single un-related change I made to any code in
there.  So, it seems that I would need to create a repo for each
distinct project I work on.  That seems excessive, as I would have to
setup a repo for each 1-off single folder report I make that only has
like 3 pages in it!  Is there a happy medium?  Also, how often do you
commit a change to the repo?  And last, how do you work when you need to
get something out of the repo to work with?  Do you download it to your
local machine, or download to a test server?  I don't need help
configuring subversion, just using it!

Chris Peterson