You said that you thought of putting the entire web root under source
control.  Is the web root one project, or do you have multiple
applications running under it?  If it is one project then can create a
repository where the trunk would be your entire web root.  The
repository structure would look like:

|- Repository root
  |-trunk
  |-tags
  |-branches

The problem with this approach is what happens if a new application
needs to be put under source control? You end up with a very strange
repo tree.
I suggest creating your repository like:

|-Repository root
  |-app1
    |-trunk
    |-etc.
  |-app2
    |-trunk
    |-etc.

I would not worry too much about the revision numbers and how they
increment with each committed change.  They are there to enable you to
isolate each atomic commit that took place.  In terms of deployment and
matching how you currently work, you could simple have your production
server be a 'check-out' of the appropriate repository.  You could also
integrate ANT into your process and have build scripts automatically
deploy your application.

>Also, how often do you
> commit a change to the repo?  And last, how do you work when you need
> get something out of the repo to work with?  Do you download it to
your
> local machine, or download to a test server?

You can simply check-out a projects trunk into a local folder. When
changes were needed, you would update your local environment (SVN
Update), do the work needed, test, and then commit your changes.

Suggested best practice is to create a tag or branch when you are ready
to deploy, and simply deploy that tag/branch to your production servers.

HTH,

Rich Kroll