From: Gert Franz
To: CF-Talk
Sent: Wed Feb 07 07:42:18 2007
Subject: Re: Anyone interested in Railo hosting?

Hi Neil,

i can easily post why this is:

Railo, for a good reason which I will post down below does not support
the following.

1: <cfset a = structNew()>
2: <cfset a["sub.subkey"] = "John">
3: <cfset b = a.sub.subkey> <--- this throwhs an error

since a does not contain a key named "sub". It just contains a key named
"sub.subkey". And all the texts in CFFM are defined like this. So I had
to write a function for converting the keys into real structs.
In fact in the above code in line 2 the statement does not insert a key
named "sub" in the struct "a" and in the key "sub" a subkey named
"subkey". The struct really contains a struct with one single key named
"sub.subkey". You can easily check this by dumping it out in CFMX.

In order for our blog to work I adapted CFFM for Raymond Camden's blog
as well, which did not work out of the box as well since it contained
some syntax errors which Railo mentions and MX ignores.

Now for the reason why Railo does not support this: performance.
The checking for subkeys in a struct has to be done at every single
access to a struct variable. This slows down performance. Maybe this is
one of the reasons why structs are many times faster in Railo than in CFMX.

Greetings / GrĂ¼sse
Gert Franz
Customer Care
Railo Technologies GmbH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.railo.ch

Join our Mailing List / Treten Sie unserer Mailingliste bei: