Which OS are we talking about?

I've done this on small sites (using Virtual PC Server) for Windows and we use
VMWare extensively at the office (large enterprise) and have never had a
problem.

The keys, I think are:

+) You get essentially native disc performance when you dedicate a physical
disc/partition to the VM.  Virtual discs work fine but are significantly slower.

+) Each VM slice get's a specific amount of RAM dedicated to it (no other VM or
the host OS can use it).  Make sure that this is enough.

+) CPU's are shared across VMs - so the number of VMs compared to the number of
CPUs should be considered.  The best case scenario is a CPU per VM (remembering
one for the host OS) that a four CPU box would have no more than three VMs.
However this is unlikely (one of the main reasons to virtualize is to do more
with less).  But if the number is two high (more than two or three VMs running
per CPU) or if the VMs on the box are especially resource hungry then the total
number should be kept to a minimum.

In short you should make sure that your new environment is comparable to your
old.  One simple solution is to request that benchmarks be run on both
environments: even simplistic benchmark data should at least give you an idea.

Other than those items (which are really all configuration issues) there's
really nothing different.  Your VM will be seen as a "real" PC in every way
that matters.

I see no reason why Adboe wouldn't support the configuration. Both MS and IBM
both support their products on VMs, adobe would seem to be missing the boat if
they didn't.

Jim Davis