On 3/26/07, Dave W wrote:
> > I think the default web connector handles stuff a bit
> > differently-  And you say CF, but you mean JRun, right?  The
> > way I see it, and this is using apache for an example, but
> > with the default web connector, you add a "handler" for the
> > .cfm, .cfc, .jsp file types--  This means that if httpd sees
> > a request for fun.htm, it serves it directly, but if it sees
> > a request for fun.cfm, it lets JRun/CF "handle" it, and just
> > returns whatever CF returns.
>
> While the handler is there in httpd.conf, my experience with Apache and
> CF/JRun has been that JRun will be able to handle other requests, such as
> requests for servlets (which aren't mapped to any file extension at all).
> This indicates that JRun is able to examine every request, whether it
> matches one of the listed extensions or not.

JRun's handling of requests is kinda separate from Apache HTTPD,  as
it is a server in it's own right, so maybe that's part of the servelet handling
and whatnot.

Because if you turn off CF, HTTPD still serves out static content.  But try
for a extension handled by the jrun handler... and 500 error...

I'm pretty sure that the JRun connector does some magic to get the request
evaluated in the context of the web root, vs. the CF instance-  well, I know
it does, otherwise there would be a bunch of entries in those config files
that Jochem talks about, and there isn't.  There are no like,
"virtual" directories
for every place HTTPD serves CF content from (which can be anywhere,
with the JRun connector).

How this all ties into clustering, I don't know.  Very intertwined
tho, obviously,
as I'm getting into this stuff because I'm trying to run on jboss/tomcat, not
for CF clustering (although tomcat has clustering... I wonder if anyone has
done a comparison...)