> If you're doing both at once, you're not really doing client-side
> validation. Using AJAX for validation largely defeats the purpose of
> client-side validation - avoiding unnecessary trips to the server.

This is where my understanding, perhaps, of the issue breaks down.

Client-side validation is going to have to server-side validation, too,
which means the server is going to have to handle all the validation
that the client-side does.  So there's just as much stress on the server.
Perhaps more so, if there are numerous problems with the form data
that aren't or can't be handled by client-side validation, such as
validation
against query data, etc.

Perhaps you're talking about the "trips" to the server, rather than the
stress on the server for validating a form's compete data set. ??

Rick