So.. what does everyone on this list do?  Use JS and AJAX?  Not use
JS and AJAX?  Constantly build JS-enabled/JS-disabled redundant apps
and sites?  Use JS and AJAX only where it failure doesn't matter?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:18 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Client-side validation or Server-side Validation?

Rick Faircloth wrote:
>> A lot of form data validation can be completely contained within the
client
>> using JavaScript,
>
> But isn't this scenario assuming that JS is available?  I thought the
argument
> was that one has to assume that JS isn't available and a complete
server-side
> validation routine would have to be in place.

The argument is that one has to assume that the javascript in the
browser is under control of the user and can not be trusted, even if it
is present.

> It seems that most on the list have been saying use the client-side JS for
> user experience enhancement, but assume JS is not available.  In that
case,
> I'd need to run server-side validation on everything anyway...

Regardless of the availability of javascript, you always need
server-side validation for security issues. Feel free to point me to a
"javascript required" website with all javascript validation you have
running and I will gladly demonstrate that need ;)

Jochem