But now what I need to know is how to go about using
dual validation...

I have nothing specific to which to point you.  But the idea that came
to me while I was skimming this thread is that CF is very good at
creating dynamic JavaScript to be sent to the client.

In other words, I would think it should not be too hard, and likely
something like this exists in some framework or library out there, to
create code that will use a set of validation rules to both validate
data on the server and create the appropriate JS to be sent to the
client for user side validation either stand alone or with AJAX style
functionality when warranted.