I think we, as a community of developers, should address the real problem here.
Actually there are several, but they are all related to the basic need for a
framework that will make our programming lives easier when dealing with the
topic of input validation. I mean, look, how many of us were adding as much
javascript to our sites as we are now before toolkits like jQuery came along?

So, for example, there is this and that validation plugin, and those are
general steps to provide tools or frameworks to simplify the process of adding
client-side validation. But why stop there? Because we don't want to tackle the
larger issue?

See, I understand everyone's perspective on this issue. Some have to care about
non-javascript users, some don't need to care about any particular user because
its not their business. Some care, but don't have the time or the resources or
the patience or the know-how. But I'm sure that if we had a "magic" solution
that allowed us all to have client-side validation, both client-only and AJAX
based, as well as non-javascript-degradable sites, as well as complete
server-side validation because we had lightweight javascript code, plenty of
server processing bandwidth and memory, and the ease of installing all this
code into our applications, then we would all do it together. We only bicker
because we all are balancing our capabilities with our priorities and we are
each coming up with different conclusions.

Truth is, with client computer processing power where it is, and network
bandwidth where it is, and models like Amazon web services offering extremely
cheap and efficient server processing power, there is no reason that we, as
developers, can't start considering having it all. The way I see it, we should
probably start assuming that we will have to have it all because that's the
direction publishing on the Internet is going. I mean, let's say you aren't
worried about malicious attacks, so you figure client-side validation is
enough, but then one day you realize that some mashup service is posting
directly to your servers. That's not bad, just unexpected.

So, how about we start with saying, "We want to be able to validate client-side
and server-side with none, one or many AJAX calls, minimize complexity of code
installation, and have no users complaining about sites that don't work without
javascript" and begin to develop a solution to do that. It's possible. I am
convinced of that because of what I have seen become possible with jQuery alone.

Just as code generation tools aim to ease the work of becoming object-oriented
by creating bean classes for us based on database schemas, we can develop a
framework to take our basic needs, expressed in minimal terms, and translate
them into whatever demands or expectations we have. We could develop a language
for expressing validation generally and write tools that produce validation
code in javascript, php, ColdFusion, ActionScript, etc. for us and not feel
that we have to choose one or the other. This would be just one element of a
complete solution. If we are worried about how such code gets incorporated into
a larger framework, then maybe we need to design a framework that is loosely
enough coupled, as we all want our frameworks to be, to incorporate these
things easily.

I know this has been done before, or at least attempted. But maybe its worth
another shot by us. Let's start by compounding all of our requirements for this
and see if we can develop a solution however slowly. Might be a good project to
be based in the commadot website.

I submit my remaining time for questions, comments, and lambasting.

-Ariel