> some level at which you trust your software & hardware.  If you can't
> trust your own code,

It's not a matter of trusting code - it's a matter of not trusting hostile
programmers...

Then...  I hate to say it, friend, but you really are screwed....  If there
are individuals who meet the following:
1) They have access to your source.
2) They have access to execute their own code on the same server.
3) The have any desire to see what's in the database in question.

It is impossible for you to prevent them from getting in given your
situation.  There's just no way.  You can certainly obfuscate to your
heart's content & make it more difficult, but there is literally nothing you
can do to prevent them from getting at your data.  Even scenarios that store
the DB password off server won't work -- your hostile programmers can get
the code that retrieves that password, they can execute that code for
themselves, and they now have the password.

If the security of the data in question is indeed that important to you
and/or your clients, bosses, etc., then you need another computer.  Setup
another CF machine that access the database and to which your hostile
programmers will have no access.  There's literally nothing else that will
work.  If you're into false senses of security, then you can certainly make
things look nice & secure, but you can't do a thing to stop your programmers
from getting at whatever they want to get at.  I mentioned trusting software
& hardware above, but I did forget to mention the one thing you REALLY need
to be able to trust -- your programmers.  If you can't trust the people that
write your code, then you certainly can't trust the code they write, ya
know?

Sorry to bear bad tidings, but...  Reality has a way of asserting itself at
times.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell