FWIW, our procedure (having created the repo) is this:

1. Identify a batch of requirements totalling 1-3 weeks work.
2. Create a branch from the head revision of trunk. This is a branch of the
entire system, not just the subsystem under development.
3. Assign the job to a developer, who will check out that branch as their
working copy onto their local CF environment.
4. The developer can then use that branch as backup/undo if they want to.
5. 1-3 weeks later when finished, merge the latest trunk revision into the
branch.
6. Then, after passing both unit and integration tests the branch is merged
back into trunk.
7. Back to step 1.

In the rare (and undesirable) instance where the work can't be completed due
to external dependencies or some overriding priority, the developer can
simply park that branch and start work on a second job with a second branch.
Obviously parking a branch for too long has all sorts of hairs, but not
being able to do this can be even hairier.

In the rare (but desirable) instance where we want to just futz around with
some new ideas, same story - create a second branch and go for it.  This one
might never be merged back to trunk.

If two developers are working on the same batch, we may check out a dev
branch to two different machines, but in practice we rarely do this.  We
either pair program or work on something different.

Meanwhile, maintenance fixes and small tweaks (meaning one hour fixes)
continue from the trunk, which is checked out to a shared CF environment.
The head revision of trunk must be deployable at all times (i.e. it is "the
build").

Jaime Metcher