> Dale, I did a quick search for software pricing to put the CF8 pricing in
> some perspective..
>
> Windows 2003 Enterprise               3,443
> Windows 2003 Standard         958
>
> Oracle 10g Enterprise         40,000
> Oracle 10g Standard           4,995
>
> Sql Server Enterprise         13,699
> Sql Server Standard           1,754
>
> JBoss Enterprise                      4,500

I'm not sure if this pricing is an accurate representation.  Sure SQL server
standard is around $1800 with 5 CALs, but if you want to use it for a web
app, you will need a per processor license.  Let's say you have a standard
dual core 2 duo box.  That's 4 virtual processors.  If I'm reading the
licensing terms correctly, you would need 4 processor licenses (assuming you
want to utilize all 4 processors).

This comes out to $5999 per processor x 4 processors, $23996 for the
standard version, $24,999 per processor x 4 processors, $95984 for the
enterprise version.  Of course if you're buying the enterprise version,
you're probably doing it for failover or some sort of clustering, in which
case you will likely have 2 servers, so it will be close to $200k for the
enterprise version.

Of course there's the express version, which does most of what you would
need as long as you don't need more then 1 cpu, 1GB of ram and 4GB of db
size.

I think MS did a good move by releasing the express version.  This might
hurt sales, as a lot of people would be happy with just the express version,
but once people start outgrowing it, they will have no choice but to plunk
down $6k per CPU for the standard edition.

Mind you that CF only charges per physical processor and the enterprise
license covers 2 physical CPUs (last time I checked).  This means you can
have 2 quad-core or higher CPUs and you're good as far as CF is concenrned.
You can also have unlimited virtual machines on the 2 physical CPUs, and run
a copy of standard edition in each of them, and you're still good as far as
licensing is concerned.

Russ