I'm having a bit of confusion about this PDF thread that has been going back
and forth the last few weeks and I'm not sure where the good advice recently
posted actually points.

Here is what I want to do:

1) dynamically fill in data from a DB to a PDF file, using CF.
2) how to create that PDF file ahead of time (NOT on-the-fly!)

I do NOT want to dynamically create the file itself--just populate it with
data. I would think that this would be the first thing anyone starting to
work with PDF's would try :)  But it's really unclear to me from the advice
about www.activepdf.com and the like whether those solutions are over-kill
for the above (simple?) process. In essence just like creating such a
template in Word, I'd like to create one in PDF format and then just in the
blanks after a query to the DB.