From: John Quarto-vonTivadar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 3:18 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Way to pass form fields

hi John,

any data set in a form field will get passed to the action page specified in
the calling page's <FORM ACTION=...> tag attribute and is available from
there. The question is, how do you want to parse it out. The power of CF, in
this case, is the ease with which you can using the FORM. scope, for
instance, to access that data. But it's not like Allaire invented CGI
variables :)

Now as to your question, one could certainly use Javascript to "submit" a
form (as opposed to using the more traditional Submit button) and if the
ACTION attribute of the <FORM> tag points to a non-CFM-parsed file (example:
a .htm file given typical server settings) then there would be no CF
involved in any of the process except the processing of the original form
template itself. Cf operates on the server side; javascript operates on the
client side. You have to do explicit work, sometimes tricky, often trivial,
to get them talking with each other.

did that answer your question?