I generally won't put any view/html type code inside a cfc if I can help it.

There are several different frameworks that make the understanding of this
relationship easier.  Personally I prefer Fusebox.  There are also Model-Glue
and Machii.

To make this basic though you would call the method of your data retrieval as
part of your controller, then use the return (a query I assume?) to populate
your view.