Making a living as an independent developer is becoming more difficult.
As you stated, webapps are becoming more commoditized and what
I can build for a $3,000 can now be purchased for $25 per month.

I'm looking at trying to develop some turn-key apps that I can
sell repeatedly and more cheaply.

But I expected things to go this way.  Most clients will go ugly
and cheap before custom and relatively expensive.

Rick