Ever the optimist, eh Dave? Tell it to the guys who started Google.
Seriously though, what is the American dream? To study hard, get a
'good' job, work yourself into the ground, and die an early death by
heart failure before ever seeing your grandchildren born? No! We live in
a free enterprise economy, something they continually fail to teach in
the American educational system (and we're the only country that
doesn't). This country was built upon people owning their own
businesses, and the only ones who seem to understand this today or those
immigrating to our country.

You have to find your place. There is plenty of work for private
contractors out there, and you see it roll in every day on the CF-Jobs
list. And yes, those who come up with a great software package or
service that can be resold, either in high volume or at premium pricing,
are the ones who can really take things to new levels. I know one
company that sells financial asset management and tracking software,
that they originally wrote on top of CF 1, and those guys are doing just
fine. The company that I work for (because I haven't hit on my great
idea yet) designs websites for a very specific, targeted market. The
company is good at what it does, it has laser like focus, provides
terrific ROI for the client, and the guys who started the company are
doing very well for themselves.

Yes, web development by itself won't make your rich. Combining your
talents with a business brain, defining a product or service for target
markets, and building and refining something that people need, that is
how you get to be a rich developer. Find a smart partner, with a
business mind and an idea but no clue (mechanically) how to implement
it. Or, work the mySQL route. Take a group of hot developers, write a
killer open source app, build it out to the point where you have a free
'lite' version and a paid enterprise application, and sell support,
maintenance, setup/installation, and training.

My $.02

Steve 'Cutter' Blades
Adobe Certified Expert
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com

"The best way to predict the future is to help create it"