Brad,

Regarding WDDX I have some (admittedly hazy) recollection as to its origin
and development that I gained from using it to port stock quotes from CF to
Java, ASP, Perl and PHP. Here's what I remember - but take it with a grain
of salt since I'm pulling this out of my a...er....ear.

WDDX is a pretty old standard going all the way back to CF 4. It was
originally developed by the Allaire guy (an fellow who's name escapes me - I
had great difficulty pronouncing it anyway:) who was responsible for most of
the CF original engine. He used it in an ingenious fashion to marshal data
back and forth between various internal modules of CF and decided it should
be exposed externally so he implemented CFWDDX.

Since it's original intent was superseded by advances in serialization I
suspect that it is not longer used like that internal. It has not changed a
great deal from those days. Certainly the standard is the same since the
late 90s. It is a very useful and light weight way to retain objects in a
flat format (exactly as you are using it) but I would not expect it to get
much attention from the current development effort of CF. I suspect it's
left in there as a legacy and I'm guessing that it frustrates some of the
Java gurus tasked with porting the CF code from the old C++ days... It's
just a guess :)

Maybe Ben Forta or one of the other gurus who sometimes monitor this list
can shed some lite on it or correct my foggy recollection.

I like what you are doing with WDDX and I get the idea - I just think that
WDDX itself might be a weak link in the chain. Having said that - the case
you mentioned where an SP is throwing multiple nested errors certainly must
be an exception. In most cases I think it would work quite well.

-Mark