I don't know much about conceptual search myself, but I know that there are
a lot of add-on available for Lucene to do all sorts of cool stuff.  I would
ask on their mailing list and see if anyone's tackled the problem.

I believe there have things like wordnet plugin so you can probably get
synonyms, etc.

Russ