This is common of Enterprise apps - there's an unspoken assumption that
resources are there for "you" (the app) so many apps (CF included) tend to
grab resources early and hold on longer than they might (the assumption
being "I needed it once...")

As others have noted explicitly destroying variables when you're done with
them can provide much needed "hint" to virtual machine.  Remember that Java
Garbage Collection doesn't run constantly - only once in awhile (it tries to
wait for slow times -it may only run every few minutes).

Also look at your machine: does it have enough RAM?  If so is CF/Java able
to use it?  If you're getting Java "out of memory" errors on a machine
that's otherwise running fine (and has memory to spare) you might want to
try and give Java more space.

The setting you want is in the CF Admin and is "Heap Size".  Here's a decent
article that goes over the background of the issue and how to think about it
for CF apps:

http://labs.fusionlink.com/katapult/index.cfm?page=articles/jvmtuning

Considering your application - which is kind of odd in this space and
probably needs to be tuned very differently that the assumed defaults - you
wants lots of RAM (to store all those documents in memory) and you want to
increase the heap size so that Java can use the memory.

Definitely look at your app and consider ways to decrease the space needed
per session, but also make sure that you're using the resources you have -
there's no point in crashing with "out of memory" when there might be
another Gig of RAM sitting idle just because of a stupid setting in the
admin.  ;^)

Jim Davis