>1.
>User logs in and requests a file.
>
>2.
>Application reads file, and builds a Query object out of it.  Every line of
>the file is saved to the Query.
>
>3.
>A SELECT statement is performed on the Query to only get the relevant data
>for that user (cached for 30 minutes)
>
>4.
>Results of SELECT shown to user
>
>The caching was added to speed up the processing on that page, but I'm
>wondering if it's causing my memory issues.  Assuming the Query object is
>probably about the same size as the file the user reads, then I'd be
>caching
>the 200kb-5mb for every user.  Sounds great for CPU/speed performance, but
>not so good for memory conservation.  Am I off my rocker, or could this be
>the culprit?

A query object of a text file I'm sure would use more memory than just the
text file stored as a string. It also depends on how much of the cached
queries contents you're keeping around (you indicated that your doing a QoQ
and caching those results.)

That caching could definitely be the cause of the problem. I'd recommend
poking around your application and session scopes to see just how much data
you're actually caching.

Check out this post by Steve Brownlee:
http://www.fusioncube.net/?p=66

The section labeled "All ColdFusion Sessions" shows you how can get to all
the sessions on the server. I believe one of the associated SessionTracker
classes has a method that will actually allow you to determine the memory
being used by a session (but that may only be in CF8.)

-Dan