From: Dan G. Switzer, II [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:10 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: memory issues

Jonathon,

>And while it definitely seems to slow down the memory consumption rate,
>it still doesn't appear to be freeing up any RAM.  I did some test
>runs, loading some of the larger files. I saw the corresponding RAM
>increase, but never seeing that memory released.
>
>I plan on converting it all to being database-driven, but I'm still
>confused as to why this memory isn't being released.
>
>Are the Queries being eliminated, but not removed from memory just yet?
>Is there a way to force garbage collection while CF is running so that
>I could test this theory?

Just because you're not using the memory, it doesn't mean that Java will
free it up immediately. Since Garbage Collection is an expensive CPU
operation, it tries to do the GC as infrequently as possible by default.

You can think of Java and its Garbage Collection sort of like the Windows
Recycling Bin. Just because you delete a file and put it in the Recycling
Bin, it doesn't actually free up disk space right away. The file is in the
Recycling Bin and still takes up disk space. Windows will eventually remove
the files and reclaim the disk space when it needs to based upon your
Recycling Bin settings.

-Dan