On Dec 23, 2007 11:13 PM, Brad Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll admit, it's nice how well CF simplifies the "messy" stuff, but messing
> with the mutli-server install has a way of dumping you waist-deep with the
> unfamiliar (and previously hidden) world of Java.

True. I prefer the multiserver install because I have a Java
background and I like the extra level of control and flexibility.

> The JRE (or SDK) runs on the OS.  This is what defines what version of Java
> you are on.  Would it best be described as a compiler,  interpreter, a VM,
> or??

The VM is the Virtual Machine that interprets the Java bytecode and
(on some JVMs like Sun's HotSpot system) compiles bytecode to machine
code for extra performance.

The JRE is the Java Runtime Environment which includes the JVM as well
as all of the libraries needed to run (most) Java applications. This
is also referred to as J2SE and, now, Java SE (Standard Edition) since
we're a long way past Java 2.

The JDK is the Java Development Kit and includes the compiler and some
other stuff (as well as the JRE).

Then there's J2EE which is now known as Java EE - Enterprise Edition.
This includes all of the additional libraries and tools for writing
Enterprise Java Beans and all of the "optional" stuff in the EE spec
above and beyond the SE spec.

> Then your app server runs on that.  This is JRun, or WebShpere or whatever.
> (This is the J2EE part, right?)

Yes, a Java EE app server runs on top of the JRE and provides all of
the libraries etc that are part of EE (above and beyond SE).

But Tomcat - a Servlet container - also runs on top of the JRE. Think
of a Servlet container as a (fairly small) subset of a Java EE app
server.

> Then your CF instance(s) are deployed to the app server (possibly as an EAR
> or a WAR).

Right, CF can run on "any" Servlet container such as Tomcat or "any"
Java EE app server. A WAR can be deployed on a Servlet container. An
EAR requires a Java EE server.

Hope that helps?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN