Sorry, but I haven't been following this post at all.  Forgive me if I
mention stuff that has already been covered.

What HDD are you using?  I have a Western Digital, 30 Gig, 7,200 RPM and a
Seagate 12 Gig, 7,200 RPM and a Quantum Fireball, 11Gig, 7,200 RPM.  All
work fine with my AMD Athlon Thunderbird 700 with 256 megs of RAM, and my
Microstar MB, under both Win and Linux.  This is the most stable setup I
have had in my life.  Any shortcomings I experience are directly Win (and
memory leak) related.

I wouldn't recommend *any* Win 98 version for *any* type of CF development..
CFStudio 4.5.1 has some major issues with memory management ( i.e.. memory
leaks).  At the very least, NT handles these much better than any version of
'98.  NT 4.0 Server (since Win NT 4.0 Workstation and NT Server are
essentially the same thing ;) is good and works perfectly well under most
situations, as such, it seams you made the right decision.  Though, I hate
to admit it, Win 2k is better.  Linux is best of all, though the hardware
stuff can be more tricky than any 'Win', and Linux itself has a steeper
learning curve .. but it isn't all that bad.  Once you get it squared away,
Linux is more stable.  I have never had any trouble with Linux, other than
network card driver issues in a routing capacity .. That's why I usually run
Linux on my home PC .. you just happened to catch me responding in a 'Win'
config. ;)  If I had my way, the whole office would be running Linux, but we
don't always get what we want .. =-p

I knew about hardware long before I knew about CF and have _never_ owned an
Intel CPU, so if you would like to contact me for possible solutions, just
E-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I will be more than happy to help.

Not to start a CPU war, which is inappropriate for this list, but tests have
shown that the Thunderbird CPUs are just as fast, if not faster than the
Intel P3 and just as compatible, and the Duron is directly comparable to the
Celeron.  I don't see how the CPU could be the problem here.  Still, I'd be
happy to give it a stab for you :)

Like I said .. I have never owned an Intel CPU and have never had any
compatibly issues. So it must be something else.

To recap, what MB are you using and what HDD do you have?  What errors are
you getting .. is it durring the install process or while trying to run
something?

Anyway .. sorry if I am waaay off-base here, but I'm just trying, and happy,
to help where I can.

Todd Ashworth