Gerald,

Yes, I am saying that the hosting business shouldn't be run like the car
rental business in this regard.  But, even so, that analogy doesn't hold a
lot of water.  Car rental companies do, in fact, screen their users.  You
have to have a valid license.  You have to be of a certain age, and so
forth.  If you are a flagrantly reckless driver, or violate their terms, you
will not be able to rent a car.

And, most importantly, if you rent a car and crash into me, a car rental
company won't hide your identity.  In contrast, when I ask softlayer and
other hosting shops to provide information about whose servers are actually
launching the attacks, they never comply.  So, yes, I am saying that they
and their clients should be required to take some responsibility.

When hosting companies let spammers run wild, they have come under pressure
legally and more informally to do something about it and that is the
direction I would like to see these kinds of issues go in.

Respectfully,