+1 to Andrew Scott. Very good summary.

Basically, if you are planning to build a whole RIA based on ajax ui and
functionality - and Flex is not your cup of tea - go for ExtJS.
If you are just looking to add some nice 'ajaxy' features to oyur site -
i.e. unobtrusive js popups, content replacement without page refresh,
slideshows, etc - then I suggest you look for those specific features
you want in several js frameworks and their plugins and decide which one
has the best look and functionality for you and go for that one.
I personally favour jQuery, mostly for its simplicity.
There is nothing wrong with mixing a few frameworks on the same site for
different tasks/functionality - it is just may be a bit harder to
maintain later...

my 0.02c...

hth

Azadi Saryev