I'll share a couple of our experiences with text messaging for our
university even though we didn't actually program anything.

We use a third-party provider to send our messages, TextCaster.  They
claim to hold the patent on using a text message to authenticate a
person.  For example, the process of sending a code to a phone, to
confirm the identity of a person is patented by TextCaster.  So, if your
system is using this process, you may want to make sure it doesn't
infringe on their patent.

That said...

We have our biggest problem with ATT.  ATT will not guarantee delivery
of messages send in batches.  They will not whitelist messaging
providers for fear of spimming their clients.

We have sent several emergency text messages regarding weather-related
issues.  Many of our students and employees have complained that they
received text messages 30 minutes late, or not at all.  Most, if not
all, of these people were using ATT.  (I'm on Sprint and have never had
any issues.)

Keep in mind that we only have about 700 subscribers for our text
alerts.  So, if ATT can't/won't deliver 700 text messages, I would be
surprised they would do so with 100,000 messages.

This isn't directly related to your issue, but I wanted to point out our
problems with ATT.  YMMV

m!ke