> Once I get done with reformatting my computer at home Im
> going to install another WAP browser as I also do some CF

I mentioned www.yospace.com, as it has a very good inline JavaApplet
browser.  I don't have any browser running on my own personal machine.

> I do have one question though, why did you develop
> something like that for the wireless community due to the
> limitations of it all???

Ah an interesting philosophical question that one! (as an aside, the
calculations I posted are run on a scheduled task by the CFServer, the
WML is used to display the "state of play" of the world at a given
moment).

Many reasons, I've been playing with A-Life for a long long time, and
try to come up with different ways of making it more accessible to
people in general.  I wanted to try and make a WAP site that was
"sticky", in that there's a reason to come back, i.e. to see how your
creature is getting on.  (the pushing back happens later with SMS
messaging)

Also to lead to communication between people, text messaging seems to
have been one of the big hits of the mobile revolution, and as far as
G3 and streaming video goes, I think text still has a long life in it
yet.  The main idea being that you can see who your creature has
attacked, been attacked by, bred with, etc, and then leave a text
message for that user.  Thus you slowly build up a network of
contacts, as your creature wonders round the land.

The next is a more leftfield reason.  Distributed computation, we've
all seen the SETI screen-saver project, using time on peoples machines
when it'd otherwise be doing nothing.  If we look to the future, as
phones get more memory, faster processes and so on, there's no real
reason why you couldn't "steal" CPU cycles.  I admit that the CPU on a
phone isn't much to write home about, but there's so many of the damn
things, that a few million odd cycles add up.  92% of the time, the
phone isn't being used.

Mixing in that with Genetic Algorithms (the DNA of the creatures,
where survival of the fittest is taking a different slant) to solve
complex problems, the ability of ColdFusion to integrate with WAP
devices, send SMS, write WML, and assign and manage blocks of data to
each device.  There is great potential to harness power, but only when
it's sugar coated for the user, with a friendly fluffy pet to take
care of :)

Hope this answers a few questions.

Dan.

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended
recipient(s)") to whom it is addressed.

It may contain information which is privileged and confidential within the meaning of
the applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.
The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by
Live Information Systems Limited.