>>My key point was, to re-use cfform's built-in client data validation
capability for my case if that's possible,

Well, if you use CFFORM, it should be possible for sure, or do you mean
you want to use CFFORM validation WITHOUT using CFFORM?

 >>for instance, do you build you own credit card validation schema?

If I needed to, yes, I would, no problem.
On the other hand, CFFORM has no validation scheme to check if some
user's identifier is unique by AJAX
(at least not the last time I look at it), so I built my own.
CFFORM has plenty of thing I don't need, and is missing a couple I need,
so I designed my own.
Another problem with CFFORM is when you must provide error message text,
because your app is not in English:
You must provide messages for all CFINPUT field, a PITA.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;