There is an issue of context. Following your description of the 'icon',
I would think that this icon is for a product itself. Not a functionary
icon, like 'print' or 'save', but rather an icon meant to start a
specific application. In that context, then the 'icon' is generally not
really an icon at all, but rather a scaled down representation of the
application's (or company's) logo.

Now this gets tricky. I know (from a job I had in the past, outside of
web development) a little about branding. Establishing a 'brand' is
heavy business, and should never be taken lightly. As an example, what
image do you think of when you think of Nike? You think of the Nike
swoosh. Even without the word 'Nike', you see the swoosh and you know
that it's Nike. It's on every item they produce. It's on every tag. It's
even the favicon that shows up when you load all of their sites. You can
apply this with most any major software as well. Think Windows, Mac,
AOL. From an image/icon/logo standpoint I bet you connected those dots
without thought. (Incidentally, this is one area where ColdFusion has
lost out, as a brand, since Allaire was bought.)

For this, I side with Dave. If this icon/logo is to be attached to
something that should come back favorably to you and your work (be that
in revenue, word of mouth, work you want associated with you as a
developer...) then you should seriously consider hiring a designer to
create a professional logo. Create a brand identity. It's not your
personal creativity at question, but the value you are attempting to
create, build and portray.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com