One of the keys to doing competent work without talent is to know your
limitations.  Doing plain, boring - but usable, clean work is enough to look
better than the vast majority of "design work" out there.  Nobody will
mistake you for a professional designer, of course, but neither will you
embarrass yourself.  ;^)

That said the letters here are meaningless to me - for an icon you shouldn’t
need letters, and if you DO need them then get rid of the graphic and use
them.  They're small and difficult to read.  They also spoil the balance of
the image - turning it from a nice, soft rectangle into a rather sharp
pyramid.

The image itself is okay - perhaps a little too detailed for an icon. You
rarely see more than two objects in an icon and this one has six.  It also
seems like you might be trying to indicate inclusiveness or diversity, but
that might be better done with abstracts (even something as simple as
multi-colored spheres or shapes) rather than actual people.

Icons thrive on cliché - it's kind of counter-intuitive but REALLY creative
icons are rarely understood because most people aren't that creative.  ;^)

If this is a "signature" icon then you'll need to be unique and brand it
appropriately, but for general application/website icons boring is best.
Some are easy: "Print", "Save", "Home", etc.  Some are too abstract and so
you have to do your best and reinforce the image.  For "community" the
silhouette of several people, hands clasped, etc are all pretty clear.

Sorry for lecturing.  It's really NOT at all a bad graphic - it's not a
great icon, but it's not an embarrassing one either.  ;^) It's incredibly
really hard to judge icons in isolation in any case - it's only really fair
to judge them in a complete iconography with context.

Jim Davis