I *adore* PostgreSQL and use it almost exclusively (unless told to use
something else).

It's got a slight learning curve as far as permissions goes, but once
you're comfortable with that, PostgreSQL is small enough for tiny sites
and scalable enough for multi-server clustering. It's benchmarks are
also extremely impressive.

Not to mention, you can't get much better then the BSD license!

I highly recommend it to anyone.

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies