I have a breadcrumb solution that I created for a Mach-II app. You
could probably pull out relevant parts of the code and use it in
Application.cfm.

At one point I attempted to make it "window aware" so that if a link
spawned a new window or tab, it would keep track of that. I don't
think this part works 100%. However, it looks a bit like this:

session.struct_crumbTrails - structure for window numbers (e.g.,
session.struct_crumbTrails.1, session.struct_crumbTrails.2)
session.struct_crumbTrails.1 - an array of events (Mach-II speak for
pages or requests)
session.struct_crumbTrails.1[1] - a structure to hold the event name
(such as home), args (query string variables stored as a struct), and
the page name (what the crumb trail will display).

It is probably a bit overly complicated due to the window number part,
so unless that is really something you want, it should probably be
stripped out. I also have some hooks in there so that if you want a
the crumb trail to be reset you can do that. It also does some
checking to make sure the same request doesn't show up twice, like on
a refresh or from a bookmark or something.

I probably need to double check with my employer before sharing the
code, but I don't think it will be a problem (they are on Pacific
time, so not in yet). The code is Mach-II specific and refers to an
event object and such, but I think the code could be modified pretty
easily. I'll post back here and possibly on my blog if/when I can
share the code.

--
Matt Williams
"It's the question that drives us."