I don't know of a way to tell if it is a file (path actually) off hand but
you can probably make sure that they entered a file name and or path using
JS.

I used the following code to make sure that the user only uploaded pdf
files. Actually it just makes sure that the last 4 characters are .pdf ...
nothing is 100% with this sorta stuff.

http://mgt.pastebin.com/d1208d2d1

Leftcorner.com is no longer online. Here is the Leftcorner.js source. It is
pretty handy.

http://mgt.pastebin.com/f381ce049

HTH