On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Adam Haskell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is going way off topic from the original thread but still pertinent to
> cf-talk, licenses and how licenses work is an important thing for anyone
> using or producing software. I'd assume many folks on this list are
> producing software, Mike D can always correct me and push me to another HoF
> list :)

I'm still philosophizing on the whole IP deal, searching for balance,
which is why I was thinking community, but what the hey.  [=

> You do not own the program, according to most EULAs. Most EULAs outline you
> own the right to run the application and you own the output of an
> application. For example, assuming you own a legal copy of MS office, you do
> not own Microsoft Office's software. What you own is the right to run
> Microsoft Office's software on a single personal computer that you own. You
> also have full rights and ownership of documents produced and published with
> the software you are using. Common misconception in software industry is
> that you own the software, this is simply not true.

Ownership is a tricky subject.  I was talking about "fair use", which
is a form of ownership, but isn't along the lines of the misconception
you refute.  Or at least you don't seem to address Fair Use.

So what do you think?  Can you make a back-up copy of some SW that
tells you that it's illegal to?  (We're talking generalities here, not
specific software).
Should your OS not give you a memory dump when it crashes, if there's
memory spanning certain locations?
Should web-browsers have a "view source" button?
    It's crazy lawyer talk, but the DMCA has a section about
"acceptable" reverse engineering. (Hmm.  I bet it rests on other stuff
that would never happen or something.)

And aren't the laws still in flux? (They always are, but a lot of this
stuff is pretty "new", sorta.)  Big Corporations pushing more of a
"lease", and "perpetual ownership" idea of Intellectual Property(IP),
The Little Man pushing more of a "fair use" and "eventually public
domain"  idea of IP?

EULAs have never generally been ruled on, according to wikipedia.
Only specific cases, with limited context.

Note the wikipedia comment about perpetual employment for IP lawyers,
however. =]
I would not want to test it.  Which is part of why I love open source
licenses so much.  Some way more than others, but that's a different
conversation.

How do we stop people in other countries, that don't abide by US copyright law?
I wonder if *that* will be the motivation for world peace--
Copyrights!  IP!  Heh!
I'd always figured it would be the aliens, or the automatons ...

*sigh* I don't think that'll work.  It's looking like we'll be going
to more of a "service" oriented type deal, with the core SW being open
source, the core HW being cheap.

With cheap hardware, and free software, giant robots will become
viable-- ever seen that movie "Robot Jocks"?  Yeah, that.
    So I guess we still get there, but those poor robots.  Imagine the
metallic violence that could be avoided if we just sue the snot out of
each other.

Anyways, the one salient point to take away from this is pretty much
what Adam and James have said, plus that wikipedia comment.

LOL.  Happy Father's Day!

--
save the robots - beware of non-terrans