On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Adam Haskell wrote:
> I won't say yes or no one way or another on the legality or really even the
> morality but I will say this puts you in a compromising position for
> submitting work to any open source CFML engine.  We've already had the
> discussion surrounding certain comments coming from the CF community about
> viewing source code and decided that we will most likely never be accept
> code from folks that openly admit to these types of activities. An OS
> project can not risk even in the slightest taking compromised code.

But if a friend of a friend submitted the code it would be cool?

I'm glad that the legal battles have played out as they have, for the
most part, so far.  Regarding source and whatnot.

I love the idea that I couldn't legally fix, or even diagnose a
problem, with something I own.  Really I don't love that idea.
I love watching chefs do battle.  That's for real.  Void a warranty?,
sure, but go to jail for tearing the tags off?  Lame! :-P

There's this whole strange idea about ownership these days.

Do you know that long ago, things went into the public domain faster
than they do now?  Why has that changed?

Oh well.

That's good stuff to know, Adam.  I guess we can debate the merit of
copyright and whatnot over on community or OT (assuming I sign up with
OT-- where I most likely belong|]).

Guess any submissions I'd make would be suspect.

Hopefully it takes more than just knowing about such things as
decompilers-- maybe poor Brad and anyone who read this thread is now
suspect...  sorry folks.

 * Is decompilation legal?

Yes, if restricted to legal uses in the section "Why is a Java
decompiler useful?" For the same reasons that one can photocopy a few
pages from a book, a developer may disassemble or decompile executable
content. We are protected by the notion of "fair-use". Reverse
engineering of an entire application and shiping under a different
name clearly violates both our license agreement with our end users,
and this notion of "fair-use". It is not our objective to see our tool
used in this manner.

(I hope whoever I "decompiled" this from is ok with the excerpt!)  LOL.

I'm getting out of hand.  Peace and potatoes!

--
Pick me up
~ Mom and Dad Save the World