For those following this thread ...  I've put the step-by-step
tutorial I mentioned earlier on my company's web site.   The first
tutorial of what I hope will become a series describes how to set up a
simple application to manage the records in a table using a CFC to
isolate all database operations to a single CFC and introduces some
object procedures to pass data around from one place in the
applicatoin to another.  Also it shows how to reuse a form for
multiple purposes.

And it's been written to specifically AVOID the use of all that OO
jargon like 'encapsulation' and 'model-view-controller'.    It's
written in terms that people experienced with the more traditional
procedural code mehods in ColdFusion will understand.

You can download the code and run it on your own machine, and follow
through the files line by line as I describe how it works and what
everything does.

You can find it at my web site at http://afpwebworks.com    I hope
you'll give it a look.   Do please let me know what you think of it.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month