> I abhorr pages that have that blatant "generated" feel.
>
> When at all possible, I have URLs like
>
> http://www.zog.org/beat/disc.cfm/lovemedo
> instead of something like .../disc.cfm/disc_id=218
>
> We're about to move to Fusebox, but the one thing that's holding
> me back is
> those ugly index.cfm/fuseaction=this&param=that&param2=the_other URLs. The
> fact that I personally dislike them, *and* the fact that they don't get
> indexed properly (being branded as "dynamic pages liable to
> change a lot and
> thus not worth indexing").
>
> Does anyone here have a standardized way of dealing with this?
> I do not feel like reinventing the wheel; if there's a custom tag or a CF
> snippet out there that'll convert this:
>
> http://site.domain/shownews/display/long/items/5/59206/46728610
>
> into the equivalent of this:
>
> address = http://site.domain/index.cfm
> fuseaction = shownews
> display = long
> items = 5
> CFID = 59206
> CFTOKEN = 46728610
>
> To clarify: the last two parameters are always CFID and CFTOKEN.
> The first parameter is always FUSEACTION.
> Anything between the first and the one but last parameter is a list of
> paired parameters & values.
>
> I suppose I could live with a URL like this
>
> http://site.domain/index.cfm/shownews/display/long/items/5/59206/46728610
> or even like this (leaving CFID & CFTOKEN in cookies)
> http://site.domain/index.cfm/shownews/display:long/items:5
> or
> http://site.domain/index.cfm/shownews/display=long/items=5
> ...but I don't really think it makes that much of a difference.

I actually wrote my own interpreter for the last version of this as I really
like this method... it's a lot easier to read than just slashes in the URL

The other advantage to slash based sites is that most search engines can
actually get into your information (as they think it's a directory
structure) when they can't get into one that uses ? and &

You've still got to use things like CFQueryParam to stop nasty people
putting ; and more SQL onto your parameters, but that's a problem no matter
what you do.

Philip Arnold
Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer