Just a guess but it sounds more like the CF's infamous string manipulation
memory issue than a CFC issue. This issue, and various work a-rounds, was
covered in great detail on CF talk about a month or so ago. I would do a
search on the cf_talk list looking for "Memory issue string manipulation
java"  etc.

HTH,
~G~