Best development laptop? Huh... that's not a loaded question?

The two factors (other than price) that drove my decision was RAM and screen
real estate. RAM is obvious, especially if Vista and Java come into play.
Java reminds me of the scene from Austin Powers where Fat Bastard was eating
in bed. Both are gluttons. If you are going to run a full on dev environment
with Photoshop, DW, and load up Eclipse with Plugins and run multiple
instances of CF 8, Database server(s), etc. I would say get as much RAM as
you can afford.  4-6 gigs will give you room to grow and 3 gig would be a
bare minimum. Whe I bough a gig chop for my old laptop back in 2005 I had to
rationalize it. I thought to myself "there is no WAY I will ever use all
1.28 gigs"".

I would highly recommend getting a model with wide screen. Preferably 17 in.
You will thank yourself.

I wouldnt call it a High quality but the one I ended up getting (@ sams club
for $700) was a model close to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147746

It is an entertainment model really. It was a little slow in the processor
bench marks but for the money I am very happy with it. With Vista, CF 8,
Apache, Eclipse (loaded with plugins), MSSQL, MySQL Server, SQL Server
Management Studio, Toad for MySQL,  AV, anti-spywear/Virus, Firewall etc.
etc I hover at about ~2 - 2.3 gigs.

The video card is suprisingly good. Even with shared video memory I am able
to play older games like Half Life with a decent frame rate.