> Since the query is stored in memory (I assume resident only while the page
> is processing) you would be running your sub queries against memory. This
> would be a big time performance boost over running traditional queries
> because of the difference between the speed of memory access vs. db access.

<cfquery name='thisquery" dsn= ....
</cfquery>
<cfset session.thisQuery = thisQuery>

Query is in memory, faster than any I/O and it also
seems faster than a cached query.

In a situation where a query is generated and then
there is a relatively great amount of subsequent
processing and handling of the data contained in
the query this method works wonders for page
and calculation speed.
 Data refresh is simple (rerun query) without need
to watch cachedwithin.etc. time settings.
Only difficulty is not being able to apply sql against
the session scoped query. Functions can handle
(though not easily) most manipulations.
 Of course, cfid & cftoken are necessary with
session - not needed with cached.

Pan