Well you can do that with frames/iframes or AJAX navigation, or
something like that, if I understand you correctly - but you would
only ever have one public URL.  Depending on your ambitions within
search engines (and cross-browser support) it could be done.  For a
public-facing site I wouldn't ever recommend it, but I guess it's up
to your client as long as he knows the potential pitfalls.

David