> When you set up the CF DSN one of
>the fields is for the DB server, just add the IP (or name if you have
>one) of the server and the port number (probably 3306) and you should
>be good to go.

okay.  I see.  In my case, I'm in a shared hosting environment where CF and
Oracle are given to me.  I don't have access to the management of either,
except as a user.  So I couldn't point the CF to my mySQL database on another
machine.  I was hoping that there was a way as a CF user I could do that for
certain queries.  It sounds like that's a no.  So to learn mySQL, it seems that
I should also install the CF single-user server on my Mac OSX.  I guess I
should then go the whole route and enable the Apache that comes with the
machine.

daniel